-->
Marcadores De Postagens: Vírus Humor Noticias Musica Bizarro Internet

quinta-feira, 26 de julho de 2007

Well, I was back at the Tokyo Big Sight again today for an exhibition on Japan's wireless systems, but as a bonus, the Japanese chemical companies were holding their own show in the next hall, so I was able to move from one to the other without incident, collecting about 35 business cards, for me meaning 35 more potential customers. Many companies were from Taiwan this time, and it was good to share our common experiences in the Japanese market. I also met with a manager from Infineon based in Germany, and he reminded me so much of me that it was weird, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. This time, all the big Japanese companies were out in force, with each one of them customizing their semiconductor standards, which incidentally makes it harder for U.S. companies to compete here, because in America, everybody seems to want simple and standard. A simple case in point: Do you not want to Plug & Play your devices with devices made by different manufacturers? Of course you do, and that is the secret of the U.S. system, something I was not totally aware of until I compared it with the competing standards in Japan. We see one example in the race between the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray consortiums, only this time it is groups of Japan's largest electronics companies squaring off rather than a one-on-one scenario like the Beta vs. VHS race between Sony and Matsushita Electric (Panasonic to you and I) which Panasonic ultimately won. Between this competition for customization, price competition with neighboring countries to Japan and a lack of will, it would seem, on the U.S. side to react to the move away from the formerly global standards our nation promoted. So there is this give and take, and if we as Americans are not on top of the tremendous economic activity going on in Asia, I fear that we will eventually fall too far behind. It is only a matter of time before companies like Apple Inc. run out of steam or friendly media coverage of their new products, then where will be be. Our business people have to hit the ground everywhere or else our presence will not be felt. I saw a handful of companies that I did not even know were American until I asked certain questions. I do not even sense we are in this competition to win in the long term. Just some thoughts on today's event. Yet, I had the chance to talk to so many people, I can hardly remember their names, but I have their cards and will contact them again. My friends, we are in for a serious, rough and tumble competitive global marketplace that I do not think we are as well-prepared as we should be. Once again, it is all about presence, or, conversely, like a vacuum. When it is empty, someone else will fill the void. Have you ever heard the phrase 'Nero Fiddled as Rome Burned'. I sincerely hope we are not Rome, and not because of the fiddling, because we need to get our people out to these events and walk the walk, shake some hands, do some bowing and make some deals that bring new jobs and technologies to our nation. OK then. If not the nation, then to our neck of the woods. I hope as a City Council Member, I can be actively involved in organizing international trade shows in our borough. If we will not go to them, maybe they will come to us, and I know they want to. For sure, something different has to happen. There was a time in America where the Hoover vacuum salesman spoke much about the American ideal of packing one's bags and wares, going door-to-door to promote their goods, from the highest mountaintops in need be. Regardless of rapid telecommunications technology, when we do not meet others face-to-face on their territory, we are ceding the ground to everyone else and I worry about the consequences to our economy in the long term. Incidentally, America tends to have big trade shows in Las Vegas, but how many of the participants are really focused on the trade show. Most of them are probably thinking about hitting the tables at night, so while it is flashy, are deals being made which benefit both sides. It is hard to say from my vantage point, but the question needs to be raised. In any case, I took some more action photos of the event. The staff this time allowed us to take pictures inside the exhibit, so enjoy!

Nenhum comentário:

 
Creative Commons License
Donestock by pedro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Brazil License.